Payment for Weight loss Surgery
It is strongly recommended that patients wishing to undergo Weight loss Surgery at Greenslopes Private Hospital by Dr Michael Hatzifotis have appropriate Private Health Insurance before surgery. You will need to have Top cover with most of the Health Funds as some of the more basic levels of cover such as extras-only may not cover Weight Loss Surgery. We strongly recommend you contact your Health Fund to ensure you are covered, by quoting the approriate item number listed below for your chosen weight loss surgery. A 12 month waiting period usually applies if you have recently joined a Health Fund.
HEALTH FUND CONTACT DETAILS:
|AHSA -Alliance Funds
(Teachers, Defence, Police, etc)
|http://www.ahsa.com.au||(02) 9411 9100|
|Medibank Private||http://medibank.com.au||132 331|
ITEM NUMBERS FOR WEIGHT LOSS SURGERYWhen you contact your health fund, quote the appropriate Medicare item number/s to see if you are covered for Weight Loss Surgery:
|GASTRIC SLEEVE||# 31575|
|GASTRIC BYPASS||# 31572|
|GASTRIC BAND||# 31569|
|MINI GASTRIC BYPASS
(Laparascopic Single Anastamosis)
|# 31578, # 30515|
WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY OUT OF POCKET FEES
Dr Michael Hatzifotis works closely with a team of professionals, including an Assistant Surgeon, Anaesthetists, Dietitians and Psychologist to help support and guide you through your weight loss journey both before and after your surgery.
Please use the following Out Of Pocket fees as a guide:1. INITIAL WEIGHT LOSS CONSULTATION FEE - Your initial one (1) hour consultation with Dr Hatzifotis will cost $200. Your initial consulatation is a very detailed discussion with Dr Hatzifotis, specifically tailored to you, and covers your medical and dietary history, and a comprehensive discussion around the weightloss procedure you decide upon. He will discuss in detail all of the advantages and disadvantages of your chosen procedure and the various risks involved, as well as answer any questions to may have. You will be eligible for a Medicare rebate of $72.75 provided you have an up to date referral from your GP.
2. PROFESSIONAL HEALTH MANAGEMENT FEE - When you have a Weight Loss Procedure performed by Dr. Michael Hatzifotis you will be charged a Health Management fee. For privately insured patients this fee will cover:
- Surgeon’s fee and Assistant Surgeon's fee
- All follow up appointments with Dr Hatzifotis - Follow up appointments include a 3 week post operative appointment, followed by appointments every 4-6 weeks for gastric band patients, and appointments every 3 months for sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass patients. After the first 12 months, appointments are then annually.
- All band adjustments (including needles and consumables)
- Any further procedures should any complications arise.
- Administration fee
The Professional Health Management fees, for privately insured patients, are as follows:
- GASTRIC BAND procedure is $3,800
- SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY procedure is $3,800
- BAND to SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY procedure is $4,800 (Gastric Band Removal $1,000 + Sleeve Gastrectomy $3,800)
- GASTRIC BYPASS procedure is $5,500
- MINI GASTRIC BYPASS procedure is $5,500
This fee is expected to be paid 1 week prior to surgery.
If any further surgery is required in the future following your weight loss procedure, you will not be charged for this by Dr Michael Hatzifotis. Please contact our rooms on (07) 3847 7002 for more information.
3. ANAESTHETISTS' FEE - This fee may vary from approximately $650 - $850, depending on the Anaesthetist and the procedure. Your anaesthetist will contact you prior to your procedure to confirm these fees.
4. HOSPITAL EXCESS FEE - Most Private Health Funds will charge an excess fee when you are admitted to a private hospital for a procedure. This will vary depending on your level of cover and your Health Insurance Provider. It may range from 0-$500.& You should contact your Health Fund to see what your Excess fees is.
5. DIETITIANS' FEE - You will be expected to visit our& Dietitian, at least (4) four times. One pre-operative and at least 3 post-operative consultations. Their fees may vary from $60 - $130 per visit. Most patients will be eligible to receive a rebate from their Health Fund. You will need to contact your Health Fund to see what your rebate will be. Some patients will qualify for a care plan which can be arranged by your GP.
6. PSYCHOLOGISTS' FEE -You may be expected to visit our Psychologist, Warren Artz, prior to your surgery and 6 weeks after surgery. Warren's consultation fee is $240 which includes two consultations, one initial 1 hour consult and one 30min followup consult. This fee will be rebateable. Please contact your Health Fund to see what your rebate will be. Other Follow up appointments may be required. Some patients may qualify for a care plan which can be arranged by your GP.
- Prior to your weight loss procedure you will be required to commence a low calorie meal replacement diet (Optifast or Optislim). You will need to purchase these meal replacements.
- Pharmacy expenses (medications, vitamins), Blood tests, and other investigations (such as X-rays), may incur an additional cost depending on your health fund.
- If you need to see any other specialists prior to your surgery, such as Cardiologists, Respiratory physicians, or Endocrinologists, you may be charged for these visits.
NO PRIVATE HEALTH COVER / NOT PRIVATELY INSURED / YOU HAVE PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE BUT NOT TOP COVER?
- All patients who are uninsured or not fully covered by their Health Fund for the SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY, GASTRIC BAND or GASTRIC BYPASS will not be permitted to be operated on at Greenslopes Private Hospital, as stipulated by the Director of Medical Services. We strongly recommend that you contact your private health fund and quote the above item number for your chosen weight loss procedure, to ensure that you are fully covered.
- For uninsured patients wishing to have weight loss surgery, Dr Hatzifotis will be unable to operate on you at Greenslopes Private Hospital, until you obtain Private Health Insurance. There is typically a 12 month wait period, after you join a Health fund, before they will fully cover you for obesity surgery. Please check with your Health fund provider.
OTHER PAYMENT OPTIONS
EARLY RELEASE OF SUPERANNUATION FUNDS
You may apply to the Department of Human Services (DHS) for early release of superannuation funds to help cover the cost of weight loss surgery. Details of this may be found on the following DHS website:
Please check your eligibility under Compassionate Grounds - Medical Treatment or Medical Transport. You may be eligible for an early release of superannuation to pay for necessary medical treatment or medical transport expenses for yourself or your dependant if either of you have:
- A life threatening illness or injury
- The medical treatment isn’t readily available through the public health system
- You can’t afford to pay for the expense without accessing your superannuation benefits
WHAT YOU WILL NEED BEFORE YOU APPLY:
To apply for an Early Release of Superannuation, you will need the following documentation:
- A letter addressed to Department of Human Services from Dr Michael Hatzifotis
- A Quote for medical expenses from Dr Michael Hatzifotis
- A letter from your GP which must include the following information:
- You are applying for early release of superannuation on compassionate grounds for medical treatment
- The condition is a life threatening illness
- The treatment is not readily available in the Public Health system
- A letter from your Health Fund stating your level of cover, including any hospital excess payable
HOW TO APPLY:
- To access your superannuation you will need to apply online to The Department of Human Services by clicking on the link below:
- Begin your application in the personal details section of your Centrelink online account through myGov. You will need to set up a myGov account
- After completing your application online, you can submit your application and most supporting documents electronically at the end of the process.
- If you are mailing the supporting documents, post to:
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
EARLY RELEASE OF SUPERANNUATION BENEFITS
PO BOX 7832
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
- If you are not applying online, it is advisable to photocopy your documentation before mailing your application. Please post your documents by 'Registered Post' to ensure they are signed for on delivery.
- If you have any queries, relating to your claim, please phone The Department of Human Services on 1300 131 060